From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:57:17 -0400
Be Advised...

Aerial spraying to begin on Monday, October 6th was
announced by the Virginia State Apiarist (Keith Tignor)
at 3:21pm today (Friday, October 3rd).

I know Keith, so I'd guess that he was not informed until
3:20pm, and sent the message out as quickly as he could.

Dontcha just love the advance notice?

The area to be sprayed is "Eastern Virginia".
Counties are listed below.

The time of spraying is 6:30pm to 11:00pm, which is
"close", but is still a violation of EPA label
requirements, given that the sun sets on October 6th
at 6:54pm.  The sun will not set at 6:30pm or later
until on October 24.

If you know any beekeepers in Eastern Virginia, you may
want to forward this to them or call them.  Temperatures
for the spraying period are within bee flight range (for
example, Norfolk, VA had a high of 67°F and a low of 53°F
yesterday), so screening entrances seems to be the only
practical defense.

        jim (In WESTERN Virginia, where there are rumors
           of at least one beekeeper with an FIM-92
           Stinger missile ready to deal with any attempted
           daylight aerial spraying.)