From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:59:46 -0400
>is the only kind in Nicaragua now, they came in 1984.  And they
>are aggressive, very, very aggressive.  On a cloudy day I get
>over 100 stings in my suit, easily!  And some of them go through
>my suit.  Last Saturday with Hurricane Lily passing close by,
>when I went to feed my bees (it is the rainy season down here)
>one of the beehives swarmed at me and my 10 year old son just by
>standing by and talking low.  It was scary, but we were
>protected.
>
>My question is:  How can I get their aggressiveness down?  I was
>thinking of importing queens, but that could bring the verroa
>down here.  Bees are fairly healthy and we don't really have a
>bee illness to worry about.  Can anyone help?

I don't believe you will import Varroa on Queens. Surely with these few bees
it should be possible to see any Varroa on the bees in the cage.
         I think it is worthy of discussion, who knows there might be some
one close to our friend in Nicaragua who has a ready answer! Was there not a
post recently regarding AHB being semi immune to Varroa?

   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *