From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:07:24 -0500
>better but they too show losses that  lead one to believe acarine is the cause.
>80 colonies placed in the hot room all look exellent at this time. Anyone else
>have any knowledge of how indoor wintered bees compare to outdoor
>wintered  as pertains to tracheal mites?

Dr. Medhat Nasr did a great deal of work on the 'thermal regulation of the
cluster' to establish why Northern areas had more winter loses to acarine(
T-mite). He established, that, bees in cold conditions needed vast
quantities of oxygen, to keep up the temp in the cluster centre. It stands
to reason, if your lungs are full of junk, then you can't run a marathon
either.(That's why I gave up smoking) So, any bees kept in the warm ie.
indoors, will find it easier to survive.
        There are methods of determining T-mite resistance. To avoid
posting, *yet again* to the whole group, ask and you will receive, the
method and proceedure.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *