From:
Mark Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 03:53:16 GMT
On Wed, 3 Sep 97 05:16:59 +0000, "MR WILLIAM L HUGHES JR."
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I want to re-queen several of my colonies this fall, but I can not
>get to all of them in four days.  I have always tried not to keep
>queens for more than 4 to 5 days.  I need to re-queen over a ten day
>period.  So how do you bank queens for that long.

Hi, I have kept queens for several weeks or more by placing the cages
with all the worker bees removed face down on a queen excluder at the
top of a strong colony with three honey supers over another queen
excluder. This seems to keep them alive for quite a long time, but the
viability of the queens deteriorates with time. I believe this technique
would work well for ten days, but would not want to try to go much
longer. Good luck.
--
Mark Jensen  Double J Apiaries [log in to unmask]
Los Altos Hills   California    fax 650 941-3488