From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:12:04 -0400
So glad to see Dave Green back on the list, an endless source of
insight, information and experience on pollinators in general.  Hope you
stick around.

Also, if neo nics in corn and possible other plants ARE affecting bees,
what may they be doing in humans?  I did field and literature work on
various pesticide effects on aquatic systems back in the early '80's.
Substances like Sevin, Dursban, Malathion, Dieldrin, and many others
were thought to be completely harmless to mammals, although the evidence
was clear that other vertebrates (fish) and invertebrates had subtle
negative impacts, sometimes at parts per trillion levels.  Many such
pesticides are now limited or banned, and some folks like myself have
permanent damage from exposures.

Now we are putting systemic insecticides into all tissues of food
plants.  Even if plenty of money was available to study the effects, the
study techniques are very very difficult to develop and may take decades
even in the hands of pure research scientists with no vested interests.

Our bees are not only the canaries in the coal mines, they are
fundamental to agricultural economics as we know it.  We need to demand
that the laws (=labels) we have are followed and that science be funded
to guide more accurate laws.

Carolyn in SC, getting ready to check two hives that look like the Sevin
dust kills I usually get in mid-summer.  Argh!  I'll know more once I
get inside.