From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 16:48:58 +0000
Randy, ?

I appreciate your points, but I don't agree with all of them.

A colleague told me that many scientists have left Bee-L because of scoffers.

Those scoffers, like Charles and Bill, forget that this is DEBATE, and they should remember that debate gets us closer to real answers and real ideas.  Ridicule and put-downs do exactly the opposite.

Debate takes time.  It only *seems* to be wasted time.

Neonics are insidious poisons.  Organophosphates and many of the beekeeper-applied miticides are "in your face" bad, yet as some have pointed out even the original "heavy", DDT, still has its uses.   Many fungicides and herbicides negatively affect bee colonies in subtle ways, like the neonics do.   I think it is worthwhile to continue investigating published, peer-reviewed papers that help us ferret out which ones do what, and at what doses.  I don't subscribe to the "this poison is better than that one" thinking.  I believe we have to be more intelligent about how we use poisons in addition to being smarter about which ones to use, and I think the "here's the best one" or "this one is safe" mentalities seriously hinder us.

Christina

Christina