Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:46:36 -0500
>...it is not as simple as concentration.  There is additional chemistry
>and a physical barrier involved.  The formic chemically reacts in the inert
>gel to reach an equilibrium between the acid and the formate ester.

Can you be more specific about how that works?  We have heard a
number of divergent things from a number of people who have had
first-hand experience with the product, and the reviews vary from raves
to concern.  Additionally, it seems that there have been a number of
different formulations released for testing without disclosure of that
fact at the time.  Do you know for sure what you were testing?

> Then the critical wrapper, which adds greatly to the cost, slows the
> diffusion of the formic vapors out of the strip.

That is also true of the Dri-loc 50 pads as well, except for the cost part.
There a number of ways of adjusting release rate.

Speaking of cost, do you know what the cost will be?

>I hesitate to suggest handling methods, but due to the slow release of
>formic across the wrapper, I will say that the strips are extremely safe to
>handle!  They are nothing like Allen's mite wipe pads or the Miteaway II
>pads.

That is a good aspect, I suppose, and may be important to some.  On the
other hand, an awful lot of formic is dispensed every year in Canada
without reports of accidents.  Personally, I think gasoline is more dangerous,
yet untrained personnel and children are permitted to handle gasoline.

>I strongly suggest that those on the list refrain from judging the MAQS
>until they have actually tried them!

Where did that come from?  This is BEE-L and we examine whatever
information we can get and where it comes from without prejudice.

We have reports from independent reporters and those who are influenced
by the manufacturer one way or another.  We have fact, and we have
conjecture.  Some may pre-judge, but most of us are merely trying to
ascertain if the product is really all that diffferent, and different enough to
justify the cost, whatever it turns out to be, and what the effect on hives
and production might be.

Some have had experience with previous products which were hyped as
special and effective, but which turned out to be less than effective, and
harmful to bees and brood in addition.

There seems to be a discrepancy between the opinions of the two.  In
the interest of full disclosure, which are you?  Independent, or on retainer?

In Canada, One of our friends has selflessly shouldered the cost of registering
formic acid as it has been used by beekeepers over the years on a temporary
permit, so we are not in the position where we have to use MAQS or
nothing.  We are also aware that a manufacturer of formic treatments
tried hard to get our freedom to use formic in this way revoked in favour of
an expensive commercial product of questionable efficacy, using the safety
argument and we had to fight for our rights.  Fortunately, our apiarists stood
up for us.

We understand that US beekeepers have to love anything anyone gets past
the ponderous and fragmented regulatory system, but up here, any
commercial formic product is going to need to be something really special to
attract much interest, since we already have cheap, safe, legal and adjustable
formic treatments readily available to us.

We hope this product turns out to work well for you since it seems you have
no other legal choice.