From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 09:58:49 -0400
>I have a lot of jars of fermented honey from last year and I have
>recently bought young colonies.
>
>My question is: can I feed these colonies with fermented honey?
>I have read in any books that I can do it but I am not sure.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Jon

You might need to heat it first(?) --  heating fermented honey to 160
degrees or so will often make it OK even for bottling, but it will tend to
taste "flat" (to quote Richard Taylor).  That is the best way to describe
it.  It should still be good to the bees anyway.

The success of this depends on how far the fermentation has gone.  If the
honey has granulated, the worst fermented portion will still be in a liquid
layer on top.  If you decide to try this, first skim off the watery upper
layer of the honey where it is sour and frothy, before you heat it.  Then
once warmed, mix the honey up well, to blend in the thicker honey from the
bottom of the pail.

GL