Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:29:01 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
>I would like to know what is the general loss this past winter, compared to the winter of 2004 (average of 50% nationally).

I've been very fortunate this winter.  I had 3 full size hives and a nuc in my home apiary in fall.  They all had young queens I raised myself last year.  The nuc had a virgin from October that evidently did not mate and became a drone layer in March... but even this nuc was not good shape (3 frames of bees and little stores used in March).

I'd treated all 4 with oxalic acid solution in late November and they had good stores of honey and pollen.  All came through the winter very well.  One hive was on the weak side in late February with 4 frames covered by bees but is now catching up quickly.

The 2005/2006 winter was on the mild side with several opportunities for cleansing flights.  As in the winter before, I had placed newspapers on top of the inner covers for insulation.  The inner cover holes were closed except for a 1/4" gap with a stick extending to the rim of the inner cover edge for top ventilation.  

The screened bottom boards were insulated with styrofoam from underneath.  The entrace reducers had an opening of about 3/8" by 5" in the middle.  The air circulation through the hive must have been sufficient since there was very little mold in the hives.

The bees tended to be clustered off one side of the hive.

This set-up has worked for me in the past in much colder winters.  There is little doubt that bees will survive well if the hives are clean, the colonies in reasonable shape with good [not necessarily young] queens, with good stores and few mites.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2