From:
Anthony N Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 09:57:37 +0200
Charles Frederic Andros wrote:

>  Carniolans are no longer known for swarming.  Sue Cobey does a good job of
> eliminating those genes in her New World Carniolan strain.....

European experience is that Carniolans are amenable to selective
breeding for both gentleness and low swarming tendency. This has been
achieved largely without the use of AI.
Whether they are ideal for Eastern Missouri or not -- give them a try
and let us all know! I have never had any other race so suitability to
location/climate is not something I can comment on, except that those
that ought to know (!?) state/write that as the Carniolans came
originally from a mountain region they are more suited to colder, more
northerly areas. However, it is frequently questioned as to whether the
euro-Carniolans and the US-Carniolans are still genetically closely
related -- anyone know?

Cheers Tony

--
Anthony N Morgan,