From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:22:26 -0400
Mike S,

In my beeyard,,,
At this time of year, I would not suspect hygienic behavior
as the cause of shot gun pattern, because varroa would
avoid worker cells in favor of drone.  If it were hygienic
behavior at this time of year, I would expect visual
signs of severe stress, maybe  signs of foulbrood, sacbrood
high instance of varroa on bees etc.  5 frames of brood,
I would not blame on a queen failing.

My experience with shot gun pattern at this time of
year, and I have had allot of it in the past.  It was
in my case, caused by poor mating.  85 % viability for
many years. Then in May - June of 2003 I noticed strange
jumps in viability levels in newly mated queens. At this same
time, ferals were making a strong comeback in my area.
Viability now 98% abouts.

Best Wishes
Joe Waggle