From:
Selkie Lass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 07:17:25 -0700
 Here is the Babelfish ( http://babelfish.altavista.com/ )  translation, just as the website translated it.:
Also I agree with this: A thing is that there is not evidence of the presence of the meliferas bees in Arizona and California before 1850 and another different one is that really there were not bees already for those dates. In Baja California I have been speaking with greater people and they say to me that indirect references of people remember who took advantage of honey wild beehives at the end of 1800, and is a this tradition rooted enough between the indigenas communities of the Baja California... I have not either been able to find reference some about the bees in times previous to 1900 in Baja California, but I doubt that the missionaries have not traido clusters with them. supposing that the bees have arrived at the south of Mexico in century XVI, Serious on the other hand impossible that they are not had naturally displaced towards the Northwest of Mexico? Or perhaps could not a cluster travel * of contraband * in algun boat? Agradecere any information and/or reference that the previous thing sustains or refutes. Thank you very much!

Ellen
  Luis Alaniz Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]> wrote: May be someone can help me and translate this:

Tambien yo coincido con esto: Una cosa es que no haya evidencia de la
presencia de las abejas meliferas en Arizona y California antes de 1850 y
otra distinta es que realmente no hubiera abejas ya para esas fechas.

En Baja California he estado hablando con personas mayores y me dicen que
recuerdan referencias indirectas de personas que aprovechaban miel de
colmenas silvestres a finales de 1800, y es esta una tradicion
bastante arraigada entre las comunidades indigenas de la Baja
California... Tampoco yo he podido encontrar referencia alguna acerca de
las abejas en tiempos anteriores a 1900 en Baja California, pero dudo que
los misioneros no hayan traido enjambres con ellos. Por otro lado,
suponiendo que las abejas hayan llegado al sur de Mexico en el siglo XVI,
Seria imposible que no se hayan desplazado naturalmente hacia el Noroeste
de Mexico? O acaso no pudo un enjambre viajar *de contrabando* en algun
barco?

Agradecere cualquier informacion y/o referencia que sustente o refute lo
anterior.

Muchas Gracias!!

Luis Alaniz