From:
Mike Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:45:34 -0400
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:22:27 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>In spring I have got all bees in doubles and a few in triples. In fall a
few
>in singles.
>
>Because of hot fall weather I currently  use apigard in fall ( 3 -25 ml.
>doses). i had minor problems with eggs/ larva brood kill with two 50 ml.
>doses but  still up the dose on bees in triples and strong.

 Bob how do you treat the triples, with both products.  I currently put
the product between the second and third brood chamber if the third is
full of only honey, which seems to work fine.  How do you measure the 25
ml of apigard?? if its a triple do you put the 50 ml on the triple?? and
do it three times.  All the rest of the hives that I put apigard instead
of mite-way, cleaned it up in under seven days.  I never thought of the
temp being lower in the middle as Randy said, but made me think a bit,
when i used to treat for traceal mites with menthol, I insulated some of
my outer covers with different material's to lower the temp so it would
evaperate slower, but no way to know if that changed any of the results.

also I now suspect that alot of the dead brood happend to be the hives
cleaning out droan lava as hives that I hadn't checked or treated started
about the same time.  I would highly recommend formic for weed control as
it is more organic than roundup.

 As far as the hives not being strong enough to ventilate, My guess was
the oposite, because the weed control was out 1-2 ft. from the entrance of
the hives.

thanks mike bassett syracuse, now that the golden rod is gone, the weather
forcast is for nice clear weather, no rain.