Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:10:11 EDT
Jack,
There are so MANY ways to do this, but your SUCCESS will be guaranteed by
having
only NURSE bees in the colony with the queen!

Put two empty bodies together and transfer 18 frames into them from one of
your
colonies.  Transfer the QUEEN, 2-3 frames of OPEN brood (eggs and larvae),
2-3 frames of CAPPED brood (emerging brood is always interesting), 3-4 frames
of HONEY in various states of frame completion, and empty frames.  Do NOT add
any feeder!  NO FEEDER!  Set this new colony any distance you desire away
from the parent colony 2-3 days in advance of your party.  All the forager
age bees will leave
and return to the parent hive, leaving behind the gentle, young, nurse bees.

When your party is over, RECOMBINE this new colony and old parent colony
using he newspaper method.

I repeat - You do NOT want any forager age bees in a demonstration hive, as
those are the ones that will be defensive.  Use only nurse bees!

I like your comments about EAS.  I missed it this year, my 2nd miss in over
30 years. I am putting on colony demonstrations at my county FAIR 4 times/day
for 9
days of opening colonies, finding and displaying the queen while I wear ONLY
shoes,
shorts, tee-shirt, and NO VEIL.  This is my 16th year doing it, and almost NO
stings;
and I attract CROWDS of spectators

I USE NURSE BEES!

I hope I have helped

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Beginning my 70th year of Beekeeping in Maryland and Virginia
Past President of Maryland State Beekeepers
Author of George's Monthly PINK PAGES
Author of American Beekeeping Federation HOBBYIST HELP column in semimonthly
newsletter.