Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:22:26 GMT
>>Easiest way I find the queen in a hot hive is to insert queen
excluders between all boxes and wait at least 4 days.

I saw a nifty device used to find/trap queens on a recent visit to
Poland.  A beekeeper showed me a home-made, double-chamber queen
cage.  The two chambers were separated by #4 mesh.  The 'bait'
chamber contained a mature queen, the other one was empty except for
a screened cone entrance.

The idea is that the resident queen will seek to find and kill the
caged queen.  She will crawl all around trying to get access to the
cage queen until she walks in throught the screen cone.  She can't
back out.  The beekeeper said he typically gets the resident queen
within 24 hours.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY