From:
Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 16:00:06 -0400
Has anyone ever found glazed looking pollen frames in their hives? These pollen frames are packed full of different colored pollen with a glazed covering on them, maybe a layer of honey. They are also very heavy. In 2016 I had one of the apiary inspectors inspect my hives for AFB, and he found a few of these pollen frames. He mentioned that in his experience as an inspector (12 years at that time) the bees cover this pollen because it is tainted somehow and won’t use it.   Now this year a commercial beekeeper friend was inspected also for AFB by the same inspector, and he had these same type of glazed pollen frames.  He was told it was probably some type of herbicide, pesticide, even pollen from corn tassels (GMO maybe?), and that the bees will supersede the queen with this in the hive. I just set up a double nuc with 2 new queens, and one side I had put in a glazed pollen frame.  Sure enough, there was a supersedure cell found in that side. Now this type of pollen frame has been found in a local retired NYS Apiary inspectors hive also.  We are at least 25 miles away from each other.  Has anyone else here had experience with this? None of us has ever read or heard of this. Thanks, Deb

Deb Corcoran, Bee Thankful Raw Honey
Western Catskill Mountains NY

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.