From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 07:43:04 -0600
>> Given the simplicity of sticky board monitoring

> Did you mean 'sticky' specifically, or any screened floor with a tray?

I was referring to *any* method that monitors the natural drop of mites
within bee colonies.  The percentage of hives to monitor, the timing,
the paraphenalia employed, and the exact method is a matter best decided
by the beekeeper, after considering his/her locale, practices, history,
budget, etc.

The simple sticky board is the simplest, cheapest, and most direct way
to find out how many mites are dying every day, and determining -- by
simple math -- a range of probable adult mite populations in  the hive.
Such a test board can be whipped up by just about anyone in anywhere
from a few minutes to an hour or two, using materials that should be
fairly close at hand.  Obtaining a screen that is a bit coarser than
window screen is usually the biggest hassle.  Anyone can count the mites
dropping per day and multiply by 100.

Without the information that such a test will provide within a day or
two, IMO, it is not possible to know the need for treatment,and whether
a treatment has worked.  It is stunning how many people wonder why their
bees died and wonder if it was varroa, but have no idea how many varroa
were in the hives when a quick test is easy do do.

Although specialized floors and screens, etc, make the job easy -- once
they are obtained and installed -- IMO, too often, the lack of such
equipment is an excuse for procrastination.  Perfectionism also prevents
people from simply taking a chunk of white cardboard, coroplast, or even
a plastic foundation sheet (see http://www.honeybeeworld.com/formic/ ),
smearing it with vaseline, covering it with a screen and getting
started.

Who, except someone researching varroa resistance, cares is there are
2,000 or 10,000 mites in a hive?  For most of us, that means 'treat
soon'.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
Styro hives, flooded bees, and much more