From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 08:21:56 -0400
Brian

Do You have a direct link to the main document?  You posted the
summary twice.

As a beekeeper and a produce grower and a commodity farmer I am always
worried about more laws.

Looking over the summary I find this to be a mixed bag.  We most
certainly need country of origin and a need to better fund and devise
ways of testing food coming into this country (foreign shippers/
producers get away with so much...organic honey and transshipped
Chinese honey for instance).  I do not see a need to heavily regulate
small scale producers.  I sell to a local market, my neighbors.  They
know where their food comes from and who to go to if something is
wrong AND they know that it is my best interest to sell them QUALITY
product.  Hate to say it, but my bottom line is far more flexible than
a company dealing with dividend returns and meeting the pressures of
filling the needs of Wholefoods and Walmart.  I don't cut corners.

That said, I also produce about 20K bushels (or more) of corn or
soybean each year that goes into the local grain elevator.  It'll be
curious if that is considered part of the food chain.

In Ohio, its easy for me to sell honey.  I simply need to label where
it was bottled and amount IN the bottle AND 75% of the material
contain within has to be produced on my farm.  That's it.  No fee,
nothing else.  Maybe I need to wait to build my new honey house.

In the end if they simply enforced their existing policies things
would be MUCH better.  As it is now, funding, not new laws would be
all that is needed.

In the end I think we will find that it is too big to manage and too
costly to try.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio