From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:08:18 -0500
> but the cows may have already left the barn.

The AHB cows left the barn a long time ago in my opinion. You can not expect
an understaffed agency to control a problem of this magnitude.

Take samples, advise and document the spread has been the position so far.

When you look at the problem as a realist you come to the same conclusion.
AHB is uncontrollable. Exactly like a noxious weed.

 Control is practiced for awhile and then you turn to plan B,then c etc..

I have got an upcoming article on a noxious weed which will be a must read
for all beekeepers! Not sure when will be in print but within the next three
issues of ABJ.

The only outward signs of AHB are aggressive behavior. Even our best tests
only show the degree of africanization. Not if the bees have got the
aggressive genes as Dr. Kerr put an ID on so many years ago!

When a single dept. head at Baton Rouge Bee lab decided to stop the work of
Steve Tabor all research on the problem now facing us stopped. Sad as Dr.
Kerr was the worlds foremost bee geneticist at the time. He is still around
in Brazil and perhaps the USDA should approach Dr. Kerr and ask for help!

I might add my knowledge of what happened at the Baton Rouge Bee lab in
1960's comes from direct (in person) conversation with Steve Tabor!

The plan by beekeepers to kill AHB in Panama was a sound plan. We would not
be in this situation if the USDA had listened (or at least not a problem at
this time in history).

What is happening now with AHB is not new news. The USDA knew was going to
happen. The scenario has been talked about at national meetings of both
groups.

AHB will be a problem in hives in the southern U.S. and become established.
Stinging incidents will occur. Many hobby beekeepers will quit (as will some
primitive commercial beekeepers that do not wish to change methods).

Changes will have to be made as to locations and commercial beekeeping
methods! Failure to do so will hurt the industry as a whole!

The above is the plan A as told to us by the powers that be!

A possible plan C.

"Beekeepers in some cases will kill hives at the end of the season and
replace with AHB gene free (and varroa /tracheal mite free ) packages from
Australia".
Supplies will be limited and only those close to sources will get those
packages. The industry in Australia is simply to small to supply the need.

Bob