Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1992 08:07:22 EST

>     I have been searching my back issues of the beekeeping magazines,
>     and my beekeeping reference books, for information on the uses of
>     propolis. There are lots of articles and references on the uses of
>     wax: candles, lotions, polish and such. However, there is a curious
>     lack of data on propolis as a valued hive product. There are some
>     historical references to the use of propolis as a wound dressing,
>     and as a varnish for violins and furniture.
>
>     Does anyone have information on small scale production of propolis
>     based products? For example, how do you make a propolis based
>     varnish? Even if you do not have any formulation data, I am also
>     interested in historical and contemporary uses of propolis. Any and
>     all references would be appreciated.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Eric Brierley                                   +-----+ .
>     President - Davie County Beekeepers Assoc.      |  -  |.
>     Mocksville, North Carolina, USA                 +-----+    . ..

I don't recall where I read this (sorry) but I believe the
ancient Egyptians used propolis as an ingredient in their
mummyfication process.  It is well documented that they were avid
beekeepers.

Tom Fisher
[log in to unmask]      |  "...if by chance we find each
Phone (317) 494-6616          |  other, it is beautiful." - F. Perls