From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:27:32 +0100
Peter L Borst
>>Yes, but with cattle a farmer can keep what he chooses without affecting
his neighbours; not so with bees and there lies the crucial difference.  We
see the same thing with GM crops.

>This isn't really so, in any case. The farmer's livestock may not get out
>of the field, but there is a whole slew of contagious diseases that can and
>do. So keeping animals and crops has always been a community enterprise.
>Some things you can keep on the farm and some you can't.

Agreed, but we were talking about the contamination (some might not like
that word) of one race of bees by introducing exotic races.  Diseases are a
separate subject.

>But there is a difference between (1) actual harm as determined by
>evidence, (2) legitimate potential for harm, and (3) unwarranted fear of
>harm based upon ignorance and paranoia.

Again I agree, but in the case there can be no doubt that a race is not just
threatened but is being damaged - the actual harm is not something that can
be debated away.

>Plenty of scientific studies are pure crap and the world would be even more
>chaotic that it is, were it not for deep thinkers.

Could anyone disagree with that??

>Ultimately, though, I believe it is about consensus building. If you think
>a thing is wrong, and you think people should be persuaded to think as you
>do, get to work on it. But come prepared with evidence and clear
>explanations. Because a lot of people can smell fear and propaganda at a
>distance.

I would hope that I, and many others, are putting forward a coherent case.
If not, then we obviously have to try harder.

Best wishes

Peter