Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 05:18:04 GMT
>>I cannot locate the reference by James Fenimore Cooper pertaining to bees ‘preceding the settlers' or similar accounts thereof associated with bees by J. F. Cooper.  Please send more info,
I would like to acquire the reference.

Here you are.  Amazingly, The Prairie is available online at www.bibliomania.com/0/0/23/51/frameset.html  You can search there for 'bee' and on page 3 in chapter 3 read how the young bee hunter says:

'You think a tree is wanting for a swarm to settle in!  But I know differently; and so I have stretched out a few hundred miles farther west than common, to taste your honey.  And, now, I have bated your curiosity, stranger, you will just move aisde, while I tell the remainder of my story to this young woman.'

The old trapper was certainly very surprised to come across a bee hunter so far away from the settlements.  I believe The Prairie takes place west of the Mississippi.

I was a real pleasure to re-read just now some of JF Cooper's work in English!  [I read him in Polish when I was 13 or 14 years old...]  I'll have to re-read the entire trilogy when I have some spare time...

Waldemar