From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:54:18 -0500
allen wrote:

>> Joe Waggle recently spoke of the importance of trust but later derided
the notion of credentials.

>At risk of beating this subject to death, I have to suggest that 'derided'
may not be the right word.

Quite right. Dismissed would be better.

Credibility is crucial; even Joe W. will agree to this. In order for a
relationship of trust to develop, one has to establish credibility in the
other.

Of course, credentials do not automatically do this, nor does the lack of
them. But, for example, Dee L. is always going on about being a commercial
beekeeper of many decades experience. Why does she do this? Because it lends
credence to her statements, of course.

Alas, a picture is worth a thousand words; so much more so, video. Seeing
the videos that Dean S. shot in Arizona pretty much sent it up in smoke for
observant beekeepers. Seeing is believing (or not, as the case may be).

pb