Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:17:08 -0400
Speaking of foundation and extracting.  For those who only have a few
hives and like to sell at markets, adding supers of thin comb foundation
or just starters is an option.  I'd recommend shallows or mediums, but
we used standards.

We used to sell entire standard wood frames to customers.  In our case,
we sold full capped frames with plastic foundation.  The consumer
spooned off the honey and then returned the frame for a refill, but
frames with starter strips or thin foundation work just as well, maybe
better.

Sure beats extracting -- most most miserable and thankless job in
beekeeping.

Point of interest: Since we were the world's largest producer of Ross
Rounds at the time, and had sold into Japan, at one point we were
approached by Japanese buyers to supply a small container-load of comb
in standard supers, boxes and all.  Having dealt with the Japanese
system before, we blew them off, but it was not easy.  The ones we met
won't take no for an answer (or yes either for that matter).
Face-saving (for Japanese, it seems) requires meetings and excuses and
gifts.  Anyhow, we pointed them to Manitoba and they managed to find
some guy.  I wonder how he made out.  I asked, but got a mumbled
response.  He did  not look very happy when I saw him at conventions.

Anyhow, I was always very happy when I sold comb honey to buyers at the
markets and they loved it.