Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 20:28:34 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I have a colony exhibiting a behaviour that I have never seen before. I wonder if anyone can shed light on it please.
I have a colony with an unmarked and unclipped queen which means she was a late supersedure last Autumn. The colony emerged from the winter quite strongly but, so far, don't seem to have produced a single worker egg. The hive has a large number of drone cells (due to mouse damage) and they are continually being filled with drone larvae but the worker cells are all empty apart from the ones used for pollen and honey.
I have never seen a drone laying queen lay in drone cells only before. If the queen is laying diploid drones in the worker cells I would expect at least half of the eggs laid in the worker cells to be viable and nurtured by the nurses so I can't think of an explanation.
I have been putting a frame of worker brood into the hive every 2 weeks in the hope that they would raise a supersedure queen but they haven't done that so far. I put the last one in today so if that does not cure the problem I plan to kill the queen. If I do that, of course, I will have little chance of working out what is going on so I am tempted to keep the offending queen just to satisfy my curiosity.
I don't think the colony is happy with the situation because they have become uncharacteristically touchy.
Any insights would be appreciated.

Steve Rose
N Wales.

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On 21 May 2018, 7:28 pm, at 7:28 pm, Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Whats the main difference from current rules??
>
>
>Charles
>
>             ***********************************************
>The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
>LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2