From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:58:57 +0700
> On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Vince Coppola wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Allen Dick wrote:

> > > I thought I should alert the list memebrs that white honey is
> > > now selling in Alberta for $1.15 per pound in drums and there is
> > > almost none left.
> >
> >         East coast U.S.A.- Some packers are offering $0.80US for
> >         white, $0.75
> > for anything else. If you have honey make some calls.>
>
>         As a hobbyist who hasn't harvested any yet, I'm assuming
>         those
> are good prices for bulk?

Okay, maybe I should have said a little more...

They are better than good!  They are roughly *double* the price a
year ago.

The reason for the high prices is a shortage of honey.  This is
partially due to the US action against Chinese honey, but many say
that the Chinese honey surplus was about sold out anyhow.  I don't
know.

At any rate there is a 'short squeeze' on where those who have
comitments to sell honey cannot find any to fill their obligations
and are chasing the remaining small amount at higher and higher
prices.

Many say this is not good for the industry because the customers who
actually consume the product may balk and not purchase.  This will
not be a problem if the shortage continues, but will lead to a huge
increase in production - and large price drops if the shortage
disappears due to increased investment in production and/or normal or
better crops next year.

We'll see.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>