From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 21:20:23 EST
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:37:17 -0500 David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Peter Bray, wrote
>>To cream small quantities (1kg - 2lbs) first start with a totally
>liquid
>>honey and add a spoonful of creamed honey (buy some if you don't have
>any -
>>preferably mild flavoured e.g. clover) and mix it throughout the
>liquid
>>honey.  Put it in a cool place (refrigerator will do but not ideal as
>it is
>>a little too cold) ) and then stir it daily until you reach desired
>texture.
>>This time will differ depending in the floral source and its
>>glucose/fructose ratio.
>
>My information says a temp of approx 50-55 degrees is ideal.
>        I have a question regarding creaming. My book says to avoid
>stirring
>in air! Why, does anyone know?

  P.O.___, Swedish beekeeper, (my memory is around here someplace!) has a
good page on making crystalized honey at
http://www.kuai.se/~beeman/krist_e.htm, (along with some other VERY neat
bee pages, including lots of pictures!)

  He says to stir IMMEDIATELY after the starter is added, or it will be
destroyed.  It is restirred every 12 hours.  No comments on "adding air."

Gerry and the other Visels at
Winnebago, Illinois, USA