From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:28:49 EDT

In a message dated 30/09/2008 11:16:02 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<However, the spore stage is resistant to virtually everything  except
burning
for up to half a century and during that time the  beekeeper can move the
disease to the other end of the  country.

Chris>>

The biggest outbreak we've ever had in the UK (over  100 hives) was caused by
a beekeeper who either didn't check what was going on  in his hives or chose
to ignore it. Much of it is spread by beekeeprs  moving frames between hives.
If you're using prophylactic treatments, then it  only takes something to go
wrong with the treatment regime, or a hive to end up  in the posession of
someone who doesn't subscribe to that philosophy, and you  have a full-scale
outbreak. If such treatments were allowed here, I'd never feel  safe acquiring
anything but swarms, since there's no source of packages in the  UK.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

Birmingham  UK