From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:08:40 -0700
How does one measure genetic diversity, in layman's terms?  How different
are the genetic lines of U.S. honey bees?  How much genetic diversity is
desirable in the U.S. honey bee population?  How will we know that we have
attained the desired diversity?

One carrot breeder in Idaho has 2,000 genetic lines of carrots from which he
selects four lines annually for development and testing.  Dr. Sheppard
determined that there are about 400 genetic lines of bees in the U.S.  How
many genetic lines of honey bees do we need in the U.S to maintain or
guarantee a desirable amount of genetic diversity?

I hope several persons who have genetics education are listening and will
take the time to reply for our benefit.

Thanks,

James C. Bach