From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:30:24 -0500
Peter said:
>. Do you think there's nothing wrong with dumping a potent antifungal
>poison into the food supply of honey bee colonies if it doesn't do anything
>to control nosema?

First let me say there is as much research that has been done supporting
fumagilin does prevent nosema getting to dangerous levels as the research
you
posted  saying fumagilin use is a waste of time and money.  Published in bee
magazines for decades.

Most of the U.S. beekeepers do not recognize the names Peter Borst, Randy
Oliver or Bob Harrison.

Those look to the sellers of bee equipment for answers such as (only a few
but many many more )

These beekeepers do almost always order beekeeping catalogs.

Dadant (pg. 55)
"Fumagilin-treat spring & fall"

Walter Kelley (pg.63)
"Fumagilin B is used exclusively for the treatment & prevention of nosema"
"recommended late fall & early spring"

Mann Lake ( page 68)
"Now more than ever its important to treat for nosema "
"treat spring & fall"

Brushy Mountain (pg. 43)
"Fumagilin B is the ONLY drug that os EFFECTIVE against nosema disease. "
We STRONGLY recommend feeding in late fall and early spring"

If you and Randy do not want to use or recommend fine but fumagilin has been
around for decades and does work most the time from my experience as
advertised.

Taking a position different than most the worlds beekeeping community will
get attention but saying fumagilin has no effect on nosema is almost
laughable.

bob