From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:57:00 -0400
> If someone had good business sense, they can be a successful
> beekeeper, even if their beekeeping skills are sub-par.  But usually
>  good business sense teaches us how to become better beekeepers.

I don't agree at all. I have known plenty of people who were successful at selling honey, but were terrible beekeepers. Further, if you are not in a good beekeeping area, you can't squeeze blood out of a stone. One either hits the road or buys honey from other beekeepers. Both of these make good business sense, but they do not improve beekeeping skills.

Even further, it is no sin to be born without the talent for business. The sooner one realizes this fact, the sooner one can either A) study business, or B) find something else to do. I chose path B. In fact, there is plenty of evidence that someone lacking a particular talent may not be able to "learn" it. Learning is often a substitute for talent.

With what I know at at 60+ maybe I could make it work whereas I couldn't at 30+. Who knows? Who cares. I have moved on and am perfectly satisfied doing what I am doing now. I don't advise on business practices, let others do that. I am interested primarily in the scientific study of bee biology with the aim toward improving the health of all pollinators.

One thing I am sure of, it accomplishes nothing to blame oneself or others for things that are beyond control.

Pete