Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:10:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I have been working with beeswax that was carefully rendered from cappings at a very low heat 
(aprox. 160F) in a proprietary home made melter system and noticed that if it is poured in molds 
soon ( 2 days-3 weeks) after remelting that I have few  to zero problems with tunneling or shrinkage. 

If I leave this gently rendered wax in a water jacketed tank for 3-6 weeks at 163F the wax behaves 
like beeswax that is rendered at higher temps (180-200F)  like in commercial wax melters used in 
large honey house operations and is what you normally find for resale.

So my observation is that beeswax that has been heated for a long time or at elevated temps is 
much more prone to shrinkage and tunneling in molds. Of course when the outside temps are minus 
10F like we have here in Mn right now these shrinkage problems are worse as the wax is cooling 
faster then as compared to summer months.  But with this lower temp rendered wax I don't even 
have problems in deep winter. 

Can anyone explain what the variable I am seeing is?  Is there a scientific explanation or qualitative 
measure that can be used to explain this difference I am seeing? 

This gently rendered wax has superior aroma, texture and color properties and the onset of bloom is 
also delayed.  We call it virgin beeswax....

* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2