From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:48:11 -0700
Here in Pennsylvania, the Game Commission has adopted an effective means of ridding areas of problem bears.  They set a trap, bait it with donuts, capture,  and then transport the problem bears to woodland areas where they can become someone else’s problem.   So in my woodland area, these problem bears have little fear, and routinely come to the house and bee yard looking for food, electric fences don’t always work on these bears.

I have adopted an effective solution to the problem.  I keep an apiary at about 50 meters from the house, a motion detector alerts me when an intruder is in the yard.   At this time, most of the bears attention is focused on destroying my apple trees, but soon, they will start getting into the beeyard.  When they do, my .35 Winchester has done a fine job eliminating problem bears. Under Pennsylvania state law, bears may be killed when caught in the act of destroying property.  So all that is then required is to report the kill to the game protector within twelve hours, so they can come get their problem bear.

Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/