From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:40:13 -0400
Take a look at this You Tube video of a simple honey extractor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id2CpJfId0c
Randy posted it some years back and may not even remember it.

I have worked with KTB honey producers and have looked for simple honey
extractors and this one is great.  Speaking of beeswax and honey beer and
KTBs, when I worked in Ethiopia last year I was looking at the potential to
expand parts of the honey processing industry.  KTBs and log hives
predominate and the primary market for honey is the honey beer trade.  I
recall being in a 'speakeasy' in Kedarif Sudan 30 years ago and being
served Tege (honey beer) in a hand hewn wooden mug with the Ethiopian lion
rampant burned into the side of the mug - heady stuff!, particularly as
Sudan was under Sharia law, though enforcement slackened as the distance
from Khartoum increased.  I would say honey beer is an acquired taste as
the brewers thereof will take any poor quality honey - high moisture, dead
bees, whatever - and this, along with the low price they pay affects the
honey market in a place like Ethiopia.  As most honey from KTBs and log
hives is crushed in the comb there is a good supply of 'organic' beeswax
available too, though some beer brewers just throw out the wax.

I still prefer frame hives, though the bigger problem I have seen in my
African work is harvesting of unripe honey and crushing of brood frames
from KTBs and log hives.  We developed training in Malawi that showed the
beekeepers how to select clean ripe comb honey to use for liquid honey,
with the rest of the unripe honey and mixed brood frames to be eaten or
used for beer.

Bill Lord
beekeeping consulting for development.com
Louisburg, NC