From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:11:25 -0400
>Thanks for any input,

extra wax has been done for decades. Most of the larger foundation manufacturers would make thicker foundation if the beekeeper wanted an order large enough.

if enough wax is on the foundation the bees simply work the foundation wax into comb without adding little of their own wax.

with waxed plastic I would say an amount without covering the design would work. To labor intensive for commercial operations.

When temps are above 70F (especially at night) with nectar coming in comb drawing is easy for bees. Unwaxed plastic is easily drawn.

A light coat of wax on plastic foundation  is mostly to cover the plastic smell and encourage the bees to start the foundation.

In the days of wired comb we always ordered extra thick wax foundation and felt worth the extra cost.

Still winter in Missouri, bees three weeks behind last year. Be patient spring will arrive! Bees really crank up after a long cool spring.

bob