From:
"Dr. Joe Carson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:17:26 -0900
I agree that cold is not the issue.  We have had winters with at least 20+ days of -65 F and colder with friends in other areas having temps. dipping into -75 F to -80 F with great success on wintering.
Taking care of the wind is very do-able.  It is moisture and our number one concern is starvation.  With weigh the option of selling 60# of honey @ $10.00 per pound vs. buying new packages for $160.00+.  Our wintered hives always exceed the new package crop production.  We can't start new packages until close to May 1.  We only really have a honey crop for three to four weeks in July; Fireweed.  We have installed packages in hail, snow storms, and plain nasty weather the third week of April.
We drill a 5/8" hole in top box and plug with cork when not in use with 1/2 open entrance with screens for the shrews.  We use 100% wood boxes.  Candy boards have been the greatest improvement and I believe the greatest factor in our survival rate along with adequate stores.   It is not uncommon to have 4.5% winter loss - with the occasional clinker claiming higher loss.
The Alaska Bush is unforgiving.  There is no hardware store down the road - no roads period to anywhere.  Planning and improvising and sticking to details is required.  No exceptions or we are out of business.
Joe CarsonAlaska Heavenly Honey