From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:27:03 -0400
Some states permit no treatment of AFB but burning.  I have read the Maine
statute, which makes it illegal for me to possess any AFB contaminated bees
or equipment, as such must be burned and the ashes buried.  No compensation
is provided.  Hive bodies may legally be saved by scorching in the approved
manner. Despite this law, AFB is common in here, requiring utmost vigilance
about all colonies, domestic or feral, within flying range.  Abandoned
hives, manmade and natural, are a common and grave source of danger.  Here,
location and capture wild colonies, while not directly profitable, is wise
for the sake of one's own bees.

Bill Morong