From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 07:50:22 -0800

> >> Since the initial discovery, Nosema ceranae has been found ubiquitously
> anywhere beekeeping is practiced. Unlike N. apis, there are NO KNOWN
> outward symptoms. -- Brenna Traver and Richard Fell

Pete, I also caught Bill's mention of symptoms.  That is why I'm trying to
get an answer from Bob about his observations of bees not taking syrup.
Bill, when you say "symptoms," what do you mean?

I don't use inside feeders, so I can't confirm whether lack of taking syrup
that way is an actual symptom of nosema infection, or due to something else.

The only symptoms that I observe are colony dwindling, low bee:brood ratio,
and heavily infected dying bees in the snow or in the grass in front of the
hive.

>  Is there any resistance out there?

Recent work out of Baton Rouge found resistance in certain Russian
patrilines, but not in Italians.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA