From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 17:58:35 -0400
Arron

As I mentioned, I found box trucks with a pass through door from cab.  Air on and/or windows open, you've got lots of room for your small load - I'm talking a 12 or 14 footer.  With door open, I've had no problems at all.

You're a smart guy, if you must use a box truck and only ventilation is via back door - I'd open it a small amount and lock in place - you don't want the load sliding out.

You just need to be sure the exhaust doesn't cycle back up into the box.  If exhaust is off to side, pointed down, shouldn't be a problem.  Drive around a bit without bees in the box, see if you can smell exhaust.

If you intended to stack to the ceiling - I'd worry about ventilation.  Your load is likely to not be than two stacks high - you've lots of room and air back there.

I moved bee packages every years for six years from Moultrie, GA to north of Baltimore.

Worst case scenario, by a chunk of flex exhaust tube and a clamp, re-route the exhaust out to the side.

My guess, you can use the closed van with no problem.  I'd put a wireless temp probe in with the bees and the receiver on the dash.  If they don't have enough air, they'll start to get hot.  Stop, open the back door, let them cool down.