From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:13:36 -0400
>Sorry for the elementary question but I'm planning to requeen in a week for
>the first time.  In planning for unexpected contingencies, how long can I
>keep my 15 queens alive and well in their shipping cages?  Can sugar water
>be used to extend that time?

I ordered queens this spring and since I hadn't assembled all of the
equipment in time, I had to keep several queens for about 2 months.
The candy lasted long enough, so I just put a drop or two of water on
the screen every day.  In a few cages, a number of the queens
attendants died, so I took the cages to the apiary, and very carefully,
removed the dead workers and pushed a few young bees in.  Seemed
to work.  But I would say 2 months is about the maximum and a safer
time would be up to one month.

My two cents,

Ian Watson
real estate agent, baritone, gardener