From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:29:27 -0000
Ted Fischer writes "I have seen bees treated with petrol (gasoline), and it is not very nice.  Yes the outer bees are killed, but they rapidly cluster, and the inner ones die very slowly.  They also are extremely irritable, and if the cluster is opened, much stinging will occur.  Yes, I agree that the funeral pyre will be well fuelled, but
again - petrol (gasoline) is extremely dangerous to ignite, and serious burns may
result."

The first part is not my experience - the experience of destroying nearly 50 colonies infested with American Foul Brood during my last year carrying out disease inspections. I might add that 99% of these were owned by one beekeeper so I know who is the major spreader of this disease.

As for the method of controlling this disease, I firmly believe that for once us Brits have got it right. That might provoke a comment or two from the multiple hive American beekeeper, those that have hundreds, even thousands of hives. Not earning my living from bees I don't know if I would feel the same if I was in their shoes. But I do know that if I ever moved to any part of the world where terramycin was the method of control, with my 20 colonies I would say, "No thanks" and grab for the petrol can.

And I destroyed many more in previous years, about a half pint of petrol (never measured it) poured in through a feed hole and within seconds, yes literally seconds, the whole colony is destroyed and can be dismantled ready for the fire.

But from there onwards I agree with Ted, it's not a very nice job and I can still hear that terrific roar as the petrol is poured in. And somehow, even with the petrol can sealed, they seemed to sense those vapours and you need to work fast. The dangers of petrol I totally agree with having taken the cap off the can whilst at least 15 feet from the fire and the lot exploded and started spewing flames. I suppose I done the natural thing and threw the can, that was a big mistake. A strand of flaming petrol poured from it.

But I was lucky and unscathed (and cannot blame the balding head on this event). The accident was reported to those that sit in plush leather chairs and suggested we use carbon tetracycline (think that is the correct name, was used for dry cleaning and in some fire extinguishers) to do the job. Apparently this is very carcinogenic, but maybe petrol is also a lot cheaper.

I also have to disagree with my countryman Chris when he states, "killed a colony of dangerously psychopathic bees by spraying each comb of bees with very dilute detergent washing up liquid using a mist sprayer." I know that Chris lives in a very rural part of the UK, so do I, but there are residents within easy flying distance of all my hives. I try and consider their safety, very few households have a Sherriffs outfit tucked away in the linen cupboard. No a half a pint of petrol is generally safer for both beekeeper and non-beekeeper - and hell to the damage caused to the combs.

May I use this opportunity to promote www.ludlow-beekeepers.co.uk I know some of the pages are pretty slow in loading, old in the tooth but just a boy when it comes to building web pages. Save yourself time and go straight to the Talking Point - Pollination pages. There are photographs of pollen there that I find more beautiful than anything I could see in our National or Tate Galleries. But I warn you, I cannot release copies (unless you are willing to pay), you might be trying to make a living from bees, this friend is doing the same with microscopy.

I'm sorry that Ken is in an argumentative mood this evening.

Ken Hoare, now [log in to unmask]