Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:53:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Pete and All,
 Bee breeding will always have trade offs .It is impossible to just have all the good traits that you want as a beekeeper.
I have seen bees around South America 6 years ago and then in Ireland last summer. I see the normal variance's that you would expect in different geographic locations. It is just the bees adapting to a different environment. It is not done by Man.
  Genetic diversity is the most important part in having good queens. At least then you have good brood patterns.
That could have some down side to it also. Forty years ago I had some hives in an apple orchard. The state inspector called me at home to let me know I had the meanest bees he has ever seen . (He was in his 80's ) One hive was in  5 deeps and full from top to bottom. I split it 5 ways and it was a chore . The bees were so thick on my veil I could not see , had to use a bee brush. 
  In my 1884 The Hive and the Honeybee , they talk about the same problems , but general in nature. Now we have fancy equipment so we can put names on the problems.
Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2