From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:02:19 -0400
James Fischer writes: “The claim that anyone is "bucking nature" is a very
weak accusation when the root cause of the bulk of our problems
has been the moving-target nature of nature itself”

   There is a point beyond which what we demand from nature is more than it
is able to give.  If we are always viewing nature as the problem, and we
think of a problem as something that must be eliminated, we will never
consciously find that point of optimal balance between what we need from
nature and what is practical or even possible to get from it over the long
haul.  That point will be found for us though, and we will have to live
with it.  If you want to highlight the ridiculous extremes, go right ahead,
but I don’t see how that gets us anywhere.
   Let’s just take a simple example.  If stress is a significant factor in
making those things in nature that are moving targets cause beekeeping
catastrophes, then maybe we will have to take a second look at how much
stress we can get away with subjecting them to.  You don’t have to go back
to the primal state for that.  But that in its self could result in a big
change in the way the beekeeping industry looks.

Steve Noble