Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:46:04 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> I think that it would be presumptuous of me to 'define' any word in the English language.

This comment misses the point.  We don't need a definition for the common word "locally", we need a definition for the technical phrase "locally adapted bees".  In lawyer-speak, that is a 'term of art' - a phrase with a specific meaning within the relevant industry.  The definition of a term of art may be related to the common definitions but it is not necessarily identical to them.
Unfortunately, if a group of experienced and insightful beekeepers and researchers as the regular participants on this list can't immediately agree on a definition, it's probably more accurate to say that the phrase should be a term of art but isn't.  Perhaps that would be a useful exercise for the group.  If a cross-section as wide as the participants of BEE-L can agree to a definition for that phrase, it might take hold and really become the term of art we need.
I offer the following as a discussion-starter:  Locally adapted bees are honeybees whose nutritional and environmental needs are well-matched to the climate and habitat of their forage area.  Well-matched can be demonstrated by multi-year survival of the line within the relevant climate/habitat with minimal support for local conditions.  That is, it's okay to help the bees deal with introduced species or abnormal conditions but not okay if you have to regularly supplement during normal conditions.

There are still holes in that definition that you could drive a truck through but I think that's a lot more useful than "bees born within X kilometers of here."  What would you improve?

Mike Rossander  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2