From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:48:23 -0400
>This fall I used a mixture of Crisco and menthol to treat for tracheal
>mites. The menthol pellets were dissolved in melted Crisco and the mixture
>was soaked up in a roll of shop grade paper towels. One towel was placed
>in the top of each hive.
>
>I will not know until spring how effective this treatment is, but I did
>make an interesting observation a week or two later. The temperature is
>quite cold now ( -2C to +7C ) but, since my hives are insulated above, the
>bees generated enough heat to vaporise the menthol. The inner covers,
>however, were cold enough to cause the menthol vapor to recrystallize in
>long thin needles on the lower surface. On checking unused towels
>with a magnifier, one can see the menthol has recrystallized there in very
>tiny needles.
>

>Donald Aitken
>11710-129 Street
>Edmonton Alberta Canada
>T5M 0Y7

We used melted menthol mixed in Crisco (thick stuff-hydrogenated I think)
and applied it on the top bars this fall. Also used straight Crisco as we
supered and earlier in the Spring. Diana Summataro(excuse the
spelling)outlined in her research(from Ohio State University?)that constant
exposure to oils were necessary to control Treacheal Mites. Perhaps the
oils may give some control to Varroa too.

We are going to try the FGMO next year applied with paper towels over the
brood nest and let the bees chew up the towels and drag the bits through
the hive. It may only take the smallest amount of oil to kill even Varroa.

Another thought is to mix melted menthol with FGMO .

My idea on the practical side: Pour about a gallon of FGMO in a 5 gallon
bucket and set 3 bundles of the brown paper dispenser towels(available at
institutional supply stores by the case) on end in the bucket. Let it soak
up into the towels. Apply one or two on top of the broodnest.

Kirk

*Kirk Jones/ Sleeping Bear Apiaries /971 S. Pioneer Rd./Beulah,MI 49617
*Sharon Jones/ BeeDazzled Candleworks /6289 River Rd./ Benzonia, MI 49616
                        e-mail   [log in to unmask]