From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:49:12 -0500
>Please understand that beekeepers here have doubts about the objectives of
the chemical companies.

I will share on a local level what I have been doing. I have been in contact
with farmers and a neonic seed salesman. I have sat a yard within 50 feet of
a corn field to test.
The seed was planted with a John Deere "finger planter" instead of the style
(I am told) causing the problem in Europe.
I have had hives on the seed salesman's farm for around 20 years. he is very
concerned over my concerns. I hated to risk the hives (and their production)
but if I can get the seed salesman on board he said would tell his farmers
and his seed suppliers. He understands in years past I have had problems.
I must admit I was working bees in another county when the corn was planted
and I really do not understand the difference between a finger planter and
the old style.
Maybe a farmer on BEE-L could explain the difference and why the neonic
treated seed seller thinks going to the John Deere finger planter might
solve the problem of bee kill at planting?
The planting issue is only one part of *in my opinion* the corn issue but we
are trying to work the issue out at a local level
I checked the 24 hives the day after the corn planting ( yesterday)and they
seem fine. 12 had wide open entrances and 12 had foam inserted with only a
half inch hole for an entrance.
to be continued.
bob
bee enthusiast