From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:10:01 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

The UK  model tracks consignments, and would allow the
napalming of any yard where  diseased queens were shipped.

Don't laugh at my use of the term  "napalming".  I'm not
joking.  Eradication is only possible at  the yard level,
and it is a very realistic approach to assured  eradication.
Yes, it is true that less-robust approaches will fail  to
control the spread of the invasive pest.

The association passes  the hat to replace bees and gear
at a two-for-one ratio, as the victim  needs to be made whole.

Recently a batch of imported nuclei was found to have AFB (despite being
certified free of that disease before entry). I understand that by the time the
infection was discovered and a bonfire made it had escaped and spread.

In England, members of the BKA have, as part of their subs, upgradeable for
larger numbers of hives, membership of Bee Diseases Insurance (BDI) which
compensates them at a set rate when their hive contents are destroyed by the Bee
Inspectorate.  It is popular and it helps to keep incidence of notifiable
disease down as there is no incentive to conceal or to attempt to treat for
these diseases.

Chris