From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 08:54:36 -0500
Hello Randy & All,

>6.  Dr. Ellis's experience, anecdotal reports, and my own experience
indicate that colonies can handle the recommended dosages well, even with
multiple summer treatments.

I guess with the intense high level of testing being done by Penn State,
Military and the research labs we will see before long if the above is
harming our bees.
I hope to learn a great deal from the CCD testing.

Most bee magazine articles wait in line for about three months before
publication and articles  for bee research takes longer for publication. It
could be close to a year for new things learned by the CCD team to be in
print.

 I have got respect for the three beekeepers Marion, Nick & Randy but what
we are talking about will be learned from real researchers in a lab and not
by observing  hives hit with OA only in the field.. Advanced lab work will
tell the tale in combination with the field work in my opinion.

Keep an open mind Randy as what we *think* we know can and might well change
as new research on bees is found. I think its fair to say from what myself
and others have posted on this subject that not all researchers and
beekeepers agree with yours and Marion's opinion on  using OA in summer on
open brood.

Maybe you are right. If new research proves the opposite  I hope you at
least caution beekeepers about using in summer on open brood. Nick A. (Ellis
student) is giving a talk on OA use  in our area first of June. People  will
be asking some tough questions and recording  his answers.

Bob

PS. I have never been told an  ineffective treatment by a researcher or a
bee lab and the reason I depend on those people for the answers to most
tough problems.
 I have had in my beekeeping very poor advice given to me by my fellow
beekeepers at times (certainly not always)and have read things on the
internet which are not correct as far as use of products unapproved to treat
bees.
Also as Randy posted different studies of the same bee subject can come to
different conclusions.

--
believed to be clean.