From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:37:42 -0400
PLB wrote: "Tylosin, when properly applied, can be used to treat hives
infected with AFB."

That may be so (it would be illegal here in the UK) but will do nothing
to eliminate the spores which can remain viable for up to half a
century, so I suspect it is a remedy recommended by the chemical
companies looking to sell more.

However, some bees do have hygienic traits that enable them to deal
with AFB and prevent it becoming a problem.  Roger Morse once told me
that he had colonies of bees that he found impossible to infect with
AFB!

You explained it. Hygienic behavior is sufficient to rid the hive of spores in some cases, so it is apparent that normal housekeeping behavior enhanced by the protection of the antibiotic can successfully rid a colony of the disease.

Now, I am not advocating this approach, just pointing out that it can be effective when carried out correctly. Some countries enlist the help of qualified veterinarians in treating honey bee disorders. The point I would make is: many or most people will not administer the treatment correctly and will fail.

It is well known that if caught in the early stages, with only a few cells infected, a colony can easily be cured. Badly infected colonies are certainly more likely to experience recurrence of the disease. I know many beekeepers who have harvested tons of honey from "hospital yards". These hives are treated with antibiotics whenever there is no honey flow ongoing.

The concept of continual treatment with antibiotics may not set well with many beekeepers but it is common practice in most modern livestock production. As far as that goes, antibiotics are widespread in agriculture as well, if you include all the various fungicides, etc. Whether or not this is a "good idea" I shall not venture to say. Don't shoot the messenger!

Pete