From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 07:16:56 -0400
My parents (non-beekeepers) just forwarded me an MSNBC online article more
or less about the end of civilization and the food supply.  It contained
the follwoing chart:

Crop and value in billions 2006-percentage pollinated by honeybees
Soybeans- 19.7 - 50%
Alfalfa- 7.5 - 60%
Cotton- 5.2 - 80%
Almonds- 2.2 - 100%
Apples- 2.1 - 90%
Organges- 1.8 - 90%
Peaches- 0.5 - 80%
Cherries, sweet- 0.5 - 90%
Grapefruit- 0.4 - 90%
Tangerines-0.1- 90%
Source: US Dept of Ag; AP Roger A. Morse and Nicholas W. Calderone, Cornell
U.

There's a lot more I could learn about the value of pollination, so please
correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that soybeans may produce
some honey, but the soybean crop doesn't even substantially benefit from
honeybees let alone depend on them.  The value for alfalfa is surely the
value of the leafy stuff, not the seed crop, which means its value doesn't
even depend on flowering, let alone getting pollinated.  Cotton, to my
understanding, is more or less the same story as soybeans.

Obviously almonds are a big deal for beekeepers, but I was surprised to see
the value of the almond crop higher than apples.  Personally, I eat 100
times the value in apples that I do in almonds each year.  Is it just that
we export so many, whereas apples are mostly just for the domestic market?

It was also my understanding that peaches are self-fertile, and don't
require a pollinator at all.  And I thought citrus was more or less the
same story.

I'll be grateful to whoever can fill me in on any important details and/or
correct me.

Thanks, Eric